Monday, July 7, 2008

Our Holiday Weekend..

This one shot of pure happiness on Gunner's face is about the only pleasure we had in what 4 days? I hate to be a pessimist but our weekend was rough. I personally had Thursday thru Sunday off and accomplished nothing besides sending Gunner to his room another 2 dozen times.

Thursday was our average lay around and be lazy day while daddy worked. We visited with Nana and the kids at her house, picked strawberries (UUGGHH!) had lunch and went to the Library. In between each of those things Gunner and I fought like cats and dogs. Nothing makes either of us happy, he is mad, he doesn't listen, I get mad, he ignores me further, I yell, he yells, it is a never ending battle. I was hoping Friday would go smoother with Daddy home to mediate. NOPE- Friday we had breakfast, then Daddy worked on getting all the junk cleaned up to take to the scrap yard. That consumed most of their day, which wasn'e exactly how I envisioned the day. We went to see the Fireworks in Big Rapids later in the evening. Gunner napped in the car so he was at least tolerable by the time they started. But as for listening- not a chance. We spent the whole evening telling him to come back and sit down, not to go so far away, etc..
Here is a shot of the boys waiting for the fireworks to begin. This is pre neon necklace which Gunner decided to use as a lasso, or a whip and whirl in the air as fast as he possibly could. The little plastic piece that would hold it in the shape of a necklace- that was a point of contention. I finally won that point and he was mad. Big surprise. Gunner fell asleep on the way home and luckily slept all night.

Saturday was the big fishing outing. I was excited about Gunner getting to go fishing. I went along to take pictures and video- I hate being trapped in a little fishing boat with a four year old. It was torture for me. I was freaking out the whole time. Yes of course he had a life jacket on, but still, if he ended up in the water, one of us would end up in there too. Then I imagined my camera going along in with all the gear and having to explain to Grandpy what happened to his fishing boat. We spent about 3 hours on the water, caught nothing, broke the trolling motor and as we were getting in the truck (also Grandpy's) to go home, broke the seat handle which reclines the seat or gives you room to get in the back. All in all a very expensive boat ride around the lake. I also got to pick more strawberries Saturday night. So this was definatley an all around blah day. If you have ever had to pick strawberries right out of the patch you will know why I detest it so much. Here are some shots of the fishing expedition!


And we ended the weekend at Lilly's Birthday party on Sunday. Unfortunately I was so busy chasing Gunner and keeping him away from the young German Shepard who was beginning her training as a police dog that I did not have time to take pictures. Corey made it back from Ohio in time, after having to rebuild the rear end of his buddies truck on the spot. Gunner was overwhelmed with all the new people, the dogs, and the beautiful home on the lake. He loved playing in the water, and good old Andy caught a couple of fish of the dock so Gunner was happy to see that and help throw them in. Thanks Andy! Too bad we wasted so much time yesterday trying to catch a fish- ten minutes at Avis's house and Gunner was in heaven!


No comments: