Wednesday, July 2, 2008



Typical of a Ford, huh? This is how I spend my evenings.. picking up the front of Gunner's truck so he can stuff something under it to "jack it up" then get under it and fix it. Notice my watering can is what we are using this time. He blocks the rear wheels himself and then expects me to help when he can't lift the truck and get something under it. Mind you I usually am sitting there holding the truck to make sure he doesn't knock it off whatever he has it sitting on. This time I just paused to take a picture. You can't see that he actually has his dad's wrenches under there and if it had sound he would probably be saying some pretty choice words- just like the big boys (meaning daddy and corey!) Right now if you ask him what is wrong he will tell you heis waiting for a damn part. Last week it was the transfer case, and before that an oil leak. Whatever happens to be wrong with his papa's truck is also what is wrong with his. I'm glad he thinks this stuff is fun now, but hopefully down the road I can convince him to make a career out of something that isn't so hands on and labor intensive- don't get me wrong, Corey who is one of our best friends, makes a good living turning wrenches. But even Corey would want something more for Gunner. I spent so many days of my career at Bollinger's watching him sweat or freeze his butt off, smash his fingers or knuckles when something gave way, or hardly be able to move after a day of trying to beat ball joints out of the new trucks. And they don't get paid nearly what they are worth.

Gunner also tells us he is going to drive a semi and do construction when he grows up. Of course the driving comes from Daddy and the construction comes from Uncle Tim. While all these are perfectly respectable careers- I want so much more for him. I plan on getting him the best education possible and helping him reach any goal. I will admit I am hoping he reaches for something with bankers hours in an office making tons of money. I don't want to see my baby boy crab fishing in Alaska, fighting fires, flying fighter jets, or arresting the bad guys which are all careers that his dad would think are fabulously heroic things to be doing. I am being totally selfish and am hoping my son never spends 14 months in a desert fighting for our freedom, although if he told me that was what he wanted to do, how would I say no?

When I sit an look at Gunner and let myself wonder about the future the one career that does come to mind as totally fitting would be say... a demolitions expert. That is usually what the house looks like when he is through. Or maybe an excavator- he is always covered in dirt. Somehow I just don't see my wild child going off to work in a suit and tie- although that is a great look for him! I guess I can only try to keep an open mind and hope I live long enough to truly worry about his career choices. I swear this kid will be the death of me somedays- but I wouldn't trade one second of it for all the riches in the world.

1 comment:

Anne M said...

Wow :)
Damn, that's called love if anything is.
I'm just completely touched.

_Anne